Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/14

I hope you will be lucky this Valentine's Day. I'm currently listen to the Martini in the Morning stream featuring its 50 most requested love songs. So far, none of the versions would have made my list, although those by other artists would have. My favorite love song fluctuates between two by Cole Porter: I've Got You Under My Skin (I prefer Diana Krall's take) and In the Still of the Night, not to be confused with the doo wop classic of the same title by the Five Satins. There are many wonderful versions, but I believe the one by the Neville Brothers is the best. I'll highlight its lyrics, as it is more obscure than I've Got You Under My Skin. I've said this before, but I believe Porter is the greatest writer who ever lived. He expresses the depth of human experience within the constraints of rhyme and time. He does in three minutes what most writers stumble to find in thousands of words. And his comic songs are just as stunning. Look up the lyrics to Brush Up Your Shakespeare from the musical Kiss Me Kate for an example of his brilliance in this vein. And he writes the music as well.
Excuse me while I pause for Norah Jones' touching take on The Nearness of You (Hoagy Carmichael/Ned Washington). Now we're talking.
Here are the lyrics to In the Still of the Night:

In the still of the night
As I gaze from my window
At the moon in its flight
My thoughts all stray to you.
In the still of the night
While the world is in slumber
Oh the times without number
When I say to you
Do you love me
As I love you
Are you my life to be
My dream come true
Or will this dream of mine
Fade out of sight
Like the moon growing dim
On the rim 
Of a hill
In the still 
In the chill
Of the night.
While returning from my morning walk, I took five of the books in Russian with combat images from my trunk. I later replaced them with others that promised variety. The strategy worked. I sold four, as well as Alice Sebold's memoir, Lucky, two thrillers, and a children's book on dinosaurs. Thanks, folks.
I support Israel and hope it does not play the victim card as Iran retaliates for the assassination of its nuclear scientists. Israel probably expected the attacks on its diplomats, as so far there have been no deaths. The two countries are at war, although it has not been declared. Borrowing the words of the late Al Davis, owner of the Oakland Raiders, I say to Israel: "Just win." The world will appreciate it, even if many countries will be too cowardly to say it.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature

No comments:

Post a Comment