Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/21

I heard an interesting tidbit on a day I accompanied a handicapped friend to the doctor and then a pharmacist. She has no love for Obama. Her Medicare costs have risen. The drug prescribed for her today is not covered. She is praying the special mix, when applied to her neurologically damaged legs, will relieve her pain and eliminate the need for a walker. She told me a friend, a Russian immigrant, complained that she had left communist Russia with her son, the equivalent of $12 and a single suitcase of mostly the kid's clothes, and worked six days a week here to give them a better life that is now threatened by an American Marxist. I've heard a couple of other Russian immigrants voice the same fear. I don't go that far, although I do fear we are turning into a European style state of high taxes and costs, and high unemployment. Rick Santorum is a good person, but I think he will scare centrists, and the leftist media will cast him as a loon. In an op-ed piece in today's NY Post, conservative columnist Jonathan Podhoretz described him as the type of sourpuss Americans have never elected. Mitt Romney would have a better chance, but I sense he would be a disaster unless he had a Congress dominated by Republicans to work with. The most interesting and potentially disastrous scenario would be Obama and a Republican congress. Would he then bypass the legislature and try to rule by Presidential fiat? If the economy shows signs of healing, he is a lock. If not, if gasoline prices continue to soar, he will face a dog fight. How silly does his veto of the pipeline look now? Of course, the construction of it would not have curbed the upward trend at present, but a return to the production of traditional energy sources would help in the future. This doesn't mean the search for alternatives should be abandoned. It should be done prudently. Until cost effective alternatives are found, the tried and true should rule.
I had a novel idea, figuratively, today. Instead of remaining in the doctor's office and the pharmacy, I thought I'd take a copy each of Adjustments and A Hitch in Twilight and hawk them as I waited for a call from my friend to come get her. Alas, the best laid plans.... She was in and out so fast that there wasn't enough time to get lucky. I did meet two other writers who share the bottom of the totem pole with me and millions of others, but that doesn't do anything but reinforce the madness of the endeavor. On a positive note, I should have a proof copy of Killing within a week. The insanity will continue for the foreseeable future.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature

No comments:

Post a Comment