Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/9

It is amazing how certain viruses seem to be on a timer. I started feeling sick Tuesday afternoon, suffered through the night and most of Wednesday. Then suddenly, about 9 PM, I felt fine. This morning I felt like I was on a natural high. Strange.
Today we have good news and bad news on government. First the positive: for the first time since 1978 the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has approved the building of reactors, two in Georgia. Although the meltdowns at Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and Fukushima scared the bejesus out of most of us, the worst case scenarios predicted in The China Syndrome (1979) film and many books have not occurred. I have no idea if disaster will occur in the future. I do know that we need energy, and nuclear is the cleanest that is produced, and it is cost effective, unlike most alternative sources at present. Windmill farms eat up land, are loud as hell, and kill thousands of birds. There isn't a source that doesn't have drawbacks.
Now the negative: according to an article in the NY Post, a Heritage Foundation study says that 67.2 million Americans are receiving some sort of financial assistance from Uncle Sam. It is the highest number in history. That is a prescription for disaster. The Democrats are succeeding in moving the needle in their direction. There aim is to make enough people dependent as to guarantee the party permanent power. The November elections will indicate if the trend will continue. Then again, too many Republicans tilt left in order to be re-elected, so the trend may be unstoppable.
I'm discouraged that the Russians are passing on the books in their native tongue I have on display. I thank the lovely Asian woman who purchased a book by Ellen DeGeneres, which was a gift of the 84-year-old veteran, who also donated several other works of non-fiction. And hats off to the Russian gentleman who purchased the huge volume on the digital world. I'm impressed that he understands it. A lot of it looked like Greek to me.
Now playing on the Edgewater Radio stream: Del Shannon's Runaway - "I wa wa wa wa wonder." The keyboard solo presages the synthesizers that came to the fore 15-20 years later.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature

No comments:

Post a Comment