Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/26

Emilio Fernandez appeared in 89 films in the U.S and Mexico, he directed 43 in his native land and was given screenwriting credit in 42. Many overlap. His most notable role was as the Generale, hot women draped all over him, in Samuel Peckinpah's 1969 bloodfest, The Wild Bunch, the movie that introduced the realism of the effects of being shot. His biggest claim to fame came as a shock when I read about it minutes ago at Yahoo. Nicknamed "El Indio," he fled Mexico for Los Angeles in the 1920s, exiled after supporting a failed revolutionary uprising led by Adolfo de la Huerta. A strapping young man, he was asked in 1929 to pose in the nude for the statuette that became the Oscar. Here's a photo of him in character years later:



And no, he did not utter that immortal line so frequently repeated by film buffs, although you'd swear he did judging by the pic: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."
I caught up to Captain America last night, courtesy of Netflix. Although I enjoined the part that detailed his origins - I didn't know he was a Brooklynite - the rest was standard action fare. It pales in comparison to The Dark Knight, Spiderman and The Watchmen. I'm surprised it made a couple of Top Ten lists. On a scale of five, two-and-a-half.
I took the floating bookshop to Avenue U between West 7th & 8th today - big mistake. It was the first session of no sales in a while. I reminded myself how lucky I was yesterday and how grateful I should be that Killing is about to be issued in print, but I was still pissed.
Now playing on the 57 Radio Stream: the Shangri-Las Remember - Walking in the Sand. I recall a girl who claimed to have met them after a show saying: "They're so conceited." Who cares? Those girls made some great records. These days my favorite by them is "You Can Never Go Home Anymore." A little silly, perhaps, but they nailed the sentiment perfectly.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature

No comments:

Post a Comment