Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/7

I cringe whenever I remember some of the things I've said in the heat of disappointment, so I'm not going to jump Gisele Bundchen, though I'd like to. Hopefully, she will step up and apologize. I'm sure it will blow over in time. What are the Pats going to do - trade Brady? Jets fans wish.
Here's an interesting tidbit I culled from Yahoo Sports. High school football players are graded on a scale of one to five. In the Super Bowl there were six players who received a zero rating back in the day, and twelve who rated only two stars. This is more proof that perseverance is often the key to success, even in the high-skill world of pro sports.
And here's an example of what happens to some rich young athletes. Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno, 24, was recently pulled over by cops for going 75 through a construction zone where the speed limit had been reduced from 65 to 45. He was charged with DUI. His license plate reads: Sauced. That must inspire confidence in Denver management. Imagine if Tim Tebow did something like that. His detractors would have a field day.
Despite a cold wind, the floating bookshop did some business today, although the Russian books again did not move. I hadn't seen Compare for a while. He must have gotten out of his bed in assisted housing unusually early. He was even more disheveled than usual, his T-shirt having a thousand stains. He bought the three DVDs I had on display: Doctor Blood's Coffin (1962), American Splendor (2003) and The Time of Your Life (1948), an obscure Jimmy Cagney flick. He paid in quarters. Thanks, paisano. And thanks to the woman who loaded up on five books, and to the one who bought Fran Drescher's memoir, Enter Whining. I loved Drescher's early career supporting roles in film. She seemed such a genuine New Yorker. Unfortunately, I found her TV series, The Nanny, unwatchable.
Jack stopped by on his way to an Occupy Wall Street rally. To my surprise, his sign endorsed Mitt Romney. The flip side criticized Turkey's treatment of its Kurdish population. Turkey was spelled without the e. He thanked me for pointing it out and squeezed one in between the k and y. He said he uses the sign to attract tourists, and then tries to sell them T-shirts and buttons. He bought The Dictionary of Business Terms. My God, could he be turning into a one-percenter?
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature

No comments:

Post a Comment