Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 12/28

As forecast, the wind was howling today. I decided to open the floating bookshop to see if I'd get lucky. I did. I caught Will, a local security guard who has purchased a lot of music from me, on his way to work. He bought three oldies CDs and a Bill Gates-Warren Buffet chat I thought I'd never sell. About an hour-and-a-half later, I was just about to close when Cabbie rolled his hack to the curb. He bought thrillers by James Patterson and Lawrence Sanders. Thanks, guys.
A friend posted an interesting video on Facebook this morning. Given the wealth of electronic devices in play these days, consumers are spending a lot on batteries. This one-minute clip shows a great way to save money. A six volt lantern battery, which runs about five bucks, contains 32 AA batteries. The trick is prying it open, which is explained in the video. Here's a link to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3qPrlun45c&feature=related 
Remember, there are a lot of pranksters out there. Buyer beware.
I had a lot of time to read this afternoon. I finished Steve Martin's second novel, The Pleasure of My Company. It is an amusing first person account of "benign insanity." The lead character has many irrational fears, sidewalk curbs just one of them. Although the book never really takes off, it is well written, interesting and only 163 pages. On a scale of five, three.
Last night I watched an unusual film, Pick Pocket (1959), made in France, directed by Robert Bresson, who referred to his cast as "models." He used non-professionals making their screen debut, some of whom went on to make other films. He strove for "neutrality" and often did 15 to 20 takes to achieve it. There was almost a complete lack of emotion in the entire scenario until the final scene. The main character wanted to be a Superman, above the laws and conventions of society. I was reminded of the work of Dostoevsky and Nietzsche. The scenes of him at "work" were fascinating. On a scale of five, three-and-a-half.
I thank Greenfield Surveys for the check.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment