Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 12/18

The world lost one of its guardians of liberty today, Vaclav Havel, 75, who led "The Velvet Revolution" in Czechoslovakia in 1989. He lampooned communism in five absurdist plays. Here is one of his quotes: "None of us—as an individual—can save the world as a whole, but . . . each of us must behave as though it were in his power to do so." Rest in peace.
When it rains it pours: Penn St. QB Matt McGloin had to be hospitalized when he suffered a seizure after a locker room fight with a teammate. Happy Valley is anything but these days.
Any Giants fan surprised by today's loss to the lowly Redskins has not been paying attention. They've also lost to both the struggling Seahawks and Eagles at home. Fortunately, they have a good foundation of young players on which to build.
On a positive sports note - golf has a new budding superstar, Lexi Thompson, 16, who is now the youngest woman to have won both an LPGA and European event after this weekend's victory at the Dubai Ladies Masters. You go, girl. Former teen sensation Michelle Wie, now 22, finished 12th. Having won only twice, it shows how unrealistic and unfair expectations can be.
I was puzzled when Cell 211 arrived from Netflix. I didn't recollect anything about it, why I'd added it to my list. I'm glad I did. Made in Spain in 2009, it is the story of a prison riot, riveting from start to finish, despite its liberal bias. I just can't muster much sympathy for violent criminals. I'm the only person I know who thought The Shawshank Redemption was twaddle. Luis Tosar burns up the screen as the leader, Malamadre, which translates to Bad Mother, I believe. He appeared in the film version of Miami Vice (2006), which has vanished from my memory. Also making his mark was young Alberto Ammann, trapped behind enemy lines and using his wits to try to survive. Of course, it's subtitled, but I believe there was a dubbed version option on the DVD. On a scale of five, I rate Cell 211 four. It was directed by Daniel Monzon.
Bad News Billy stopped by the floating bookshop today. His six-year-old grandson was bitten by a dog the family was unable to track down. As a result the poor kid is undergoing a series of four shot regimens. Billy bought him a bunch of children's books, and the Elvis in Hollywood videotape for himself. Thanks, my friend, and also to the woman who purchased the large pictorial on cats.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment