Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1210

Nyquil still works for me. I slept through the night. Unfortunately, I felt like doo-doo most of the morning. I guess it takes a while for the ibuprofen to kick. It's amazing what one of those little pills can do. I didn't make my usual Saturday visit to a friend - why bring my germs to his place - but I was able to put in a couple of hours selling books on Bay Parkway. I even peddled one of the VHS tapes Marie donated - Beavis and Butt-head Do America (Huh, huh, huh) - to Bob, who has yet to make the transfer to DVD. Right now my nose is running as if it is in a marathon.
Thanks, folks, and ditto to John, whose purchase of Killing boosted my Kindle ranking into the Top 1000 (74,000+).
Each year I burn a CD for my four nieces. This year's disc features twelve songs:
Besame Mucho - Andrea Bocelli - the world-renowned singer steps back from the semi-operatic in an understated though powerful performance of the Spanish standard, enhanced by gorgeous piano and acoustic guitar work.
Baby-O - Dean Martin & Paris Bennett - This is only the second of the fake duets I've liked, the other being Unforgettable by Nat & Natalie Cole. It's a bouncy pop tune perfectly suited to Dino and the young lady who appeared on American Idol.
Another Day in L.A. - Indigo Swing - a modern swing tune.
Ramble On - Led Zeppelin - listening to it today, I was impressed by the beautiful bass work of John Paul Jones. One of the few things I like about winter is listening to music with the windows rolled up.
Dress You Up - Madonna - one of the the few songs by her I like.
I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down - Paul Young - spectacular bass work by Pino Palladino.
Don't Get Me Wrong - Pretenders - irresistible pop.
Passion - Rod Stewart - "...Once in love, you're never out of danger...." Beautiful.
The Space Between - Roxy Music - simple, wonderful mood piece by the UK band.
Panama - Van Halen - silly hormonal rock brought to high art as Eddie slows what begins as a standard lead to soft, gorgeous fuzz and is matched in tone by David Lee Roth's vocal.
Zoot Suit Riot - Cherry Poppin' Daddies - more foot-tapping modern swing.
Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon - a fun trip in the mind of one of the most bizarre songwriters ever - "...little old lady got mutilated late last night...."
Panic Switch - Silver Sun Pickups - one the few modern rock songs I've liked. Then again, does any NY radio station play modern rock now that RXP has gone under?
This Must Be the Place - Talking Heads - a surprising upbeat pop song from one of the most unique bands ever.
What would the world be like without music? I shudder to think.
Now playing on Live 365: 16 Candles by the Crests, with the late Johnny Maestro on lead vocal.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment