Total Pageviews

Friday, December 9, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 12/9

I'm under the weather for the first time since early '06 or '07. I remember it because it was my first three weeks as a supervisor at the Exchange and I dared not stay home. I had some kind of upper respiratory thing and feared I'd get a hernia from coughing. This time it's a simple cold. I bought some Nyquil this morning and hope it still does the trick for me. It used to put me out like a light. Otherwise, it's a rough night's sleep. I'm feeling kind of icky right now. Maybe the adrenaline has worn off.
So today I faced the question of whether to work the floating bookshop. It was never really in doubt. What choice did I have - stay home and be miserable? Fortunately, it was a beautiful day and I felt fine. The one ibuprofen I took must have bolstered me. And people were in a buying mood. As soon as I got to my usual nook, Alan approached and bought a Phillip Margolin thriller. Minutes later, an Asian gentleman purchased a large book on Bruce Lee karate techniques. It's hard to believe the Dragon has been dead longer than 30 years. As I've been expecting, the fresh batch of children's books I received finally started selling, as several women bought. A delivery guy on a bike hit the brakes as he spotted the Frank Sinatra coffee table book. I also sold him an Ultimate Sinatra homemade CD.
Jack stopped by and asked if I'd be interested in selling items he has emblazoned with the Occupy Wall Street logo. I politely declined. A half hour later he returned and gave me an NYC T-shirt I'd inquired about a few days ago, which I will give to one of my great-great nieces or nephews, who will be flying in from Italy for the holidays. I felt like a rat for having turned him down, but we all know adhering to principle is not easy, and I want nothing to do with OWS. I appreciate the one-percent, who create jobs, who pay 37% of the federal taxes and goodness knows how much in state and local taxes and other fees.
Thanks, folks.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment