Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1211

Remnants of Occupy Wall Street recently vandalized a set of Law and Order SVU, which, as it so often does, uses current stories as a backdrop for its episodes. The members believe they are being exploited. I derive a fiendish delight out of this, as SVU has a left bias that had me abandon the show - that and its ludicrous, obligatory plot twists. No episode passes without a liberal teaching point or two. It got so annoying. So it's fun to see liberals turn on each other. What do its writers do - pledge solidarity with the movement, which would prove a liberal bias they would never want to admit? My guess is they will be silent.
It takes a lot to surprise me these days, especially when it comes to the behavior of athletes, so the news that NL MVP Ryan Braun has tested positive for PED's got no more than a sniff out of me. I hope further tests prove it is a mistake, but if he did use them he should be stripped of the honor. It will be interesting see if the pathetic Bud Selig looks the other way, as he did when the homers were flying out of parks at historic rates just after the strike. It's not a stretch to say that steroids brought baseball back to prominence, and made many rich.
I had another lucky day on Bay Parkway, which was my third choice to set up shop. There were no parking spots at the other locations. As I pulled up, I spotted Joanne approaching. She has donated so many popular books to me and brought me 16 more today. She is moving to Long Island, as her landlord is selling his house. I will miss her.
I thank the Russian gentleman who purchased two coffee table books and the young mom who bought three books for her son, who has just begun to learn to read. It looked like that would be it for the session until a young man showed and asked about the CD's I had on display. Although only in his thirties, he is interested in the music of the 50's and 60's. He asked about the quality of the sound. Since my car was right there, I popped a disc into the player and cranked up the volume. His eyes spread. "Pretty good," he said. He bought all three, and I'm now in the process of burning new copies. So I will be well-armed when I return to my usual nook tomorrow.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment