Total Pageviews

Monday, December 5, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 12/5

It was a lucky day all around. First of all, Bob Rubenstein treated me to lunch as a final thank you for editing his second novel, The White Bridge. As we were sitting in the El Greco Diner, facing Sheepshead Bay, I happened to notice the TV was tuned to the Fox Business Channel. I stole a glance every now and then and saw what I hoped to see - the stock market was up significantly. I've had an order in to sell my 300 shares of Verizon for a couple of months. I thought I had it last Thursday, but customer service explained that the stock reached the level before the opening of the NYSE, where it conducts its transactions. I was pissed, certain it would not breech that mark again for years once players realize the European crisis is not going away before it does major damage to the world economy and the market suffers a major retraction as a result. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I'm risk averse right now. So I've had two minor winners this year. I made a little more from Intel than I'd thought originally, $1091 rather than $600. Today's take was $903, small potatoes compared to what those with real business sense earn, but much better than bank interest these days. Unfortunately, there's not much I can do with my barking bank stocks. Even Zipcar, which I still believe in, has lost half its value.
It looked like the floating book shop was going to be a bust - until my only customer of the day came along. Victoria not only purchased A Hitch in Twilight but ten other books, which she will share with her work colleagues. Fortunately, I had a bag big enough to hold them all. Weeks ago Viktor the Ukrainian gave me a red cloth bag. I'd been hoping to use it in such a way ever since. Thank you, ma'am. Hitch is now sold out of its original 110 book print run except for a copy being held by a friend of a friend. More copies are on the way. Of course, it can be purchased online, along with my other books. The links to each can be accessed at my web site, where many of my short stories are available for free. Go here:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment