Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 6/30

No luck again today. I'm never sure how to interpret the slumps I hit. Thus far, they've seemed simply a matter of percentages, the absence of the right person at the right time. There have been two signs that this is different, that the recession is finally hitting the floating bookshop. Simone, who purchased a handful of books several weeks in a row, which she devoured, has only waved the past three weeks. And the Romance Lady, Yelena, who said she would stop by on her way back from a coffee run, took an alternate route to her building, which I spotted her entering. We'll see.
On the side of the bus shelter ten feet from where I set up, there is a large poster advertising this Saturday's heavyweight fight between Klitschko and Haye. It has attracted more attention than the previous one featuring a model and her jeans. This would be surprising if not for the fact that Sheepshead Bay is predominantly Russian. The pride is obvious. I haven't watched boxing since perhaps as far back as 1970, except for a couple of Mike Tyson's bouts. I just can't justify watching men beat each other to a pulp. Shouldn't we beyond such things in the 21st century? Still, I don't think it should be banned. These are adults who understand the consequences of their actions. And the object is a knockout, not killing, although a handful do die as a result of blows. I admire their skill and courage. I just don't want to watch it. Maybe I've gotten too soft. As for women's boxing, which I consider evidence of the end of civilization, I will never watch it. I wouldn't even watch the Academy Award winning movie Million Dollar Baby. But you watch football, friends might say. Yes, and it is often brutal, but the object is touchdowns and field goals, not a knockout, although some players do attempt to injure talented opponents. I cringe at some of the hits and wonder how I ever played and coached. But you watch wrestling, friends might say. True, but wrestling is a bizarre side show where the outcome is predetermined and injuries are accidental. One of the reasons I no longer watch is that it has lost its madcap humor. No one presently in the business entertains me the way Captain Lou Albano and Classie Freddie Blassie did. When I need a good laugh, I pop in best-of tapes I made in the 80's.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment