Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 6/14

Fall returned to the area today. A stiff wind played havoc with the floating bookshop, but my luck continued, although it didn't seem it would for the first two-and-a-half hours of operation. 30 minutes into the session, it began to rain. It lasted about five minutes and, given the forecast, had me scurrying to the viaduct. Sure enough, the sun came out and I stood there kicking myself for moving, hoping the romance lady, Yelena, would make a coffee run so that I'd have something to show for the shift. After an hour-and-a-half of being ignored, I packed up. Along the way, I passed Yelena, outside her work place sneaking a smoke with a co-worker. She turned her back as I approached. I think she saw me. Maybe she has maxed out on potboilers. I am grateful to her nonetheless.
It looked like it would be more of the same at my usual post. I'd probably missed any of my regulars who'd happened by. And the temperature was so un-June-like I couldn't blame people for not stopping. Then everything turned around, as a woman purchased three children's books for her birthday girl. An Asian man picked up a beautiful pictorial on deer and looked through the whole thing. When someone does that, it usually means no sale. When I went down to one dollar, he took it. I'm such a soft touch. A few minutes later Marie brought me another CD donation, at least ten, including Led Zeppelin II, the Police Singles and the Best of the Hollies, which I'm listening to right now (Long Cool Woman). And then lovely young Alisa approached, addressing me in Italian, dressed as if she were coming from work. Sure enough, she has landed a gig as a Russian translator. I asked her the phonetic spelling of certain terms, i.e., Dosvedanya (Goodbye til next time). Finally, Bob Rubenstein, author of Ghost Runners, came by and bought a CD of  legendary jazz saxophonist Charlie Parker.
Thanks to all for brightening my day.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment