Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 6/22

I took a chance today, forgoing the viaduct despite the threat of rain, and it paid off. I sold all the children's books I had on display, including a large one on Bible stories. Thanks, folks.
Last night I caught up to Red (2010), courtesy of Netflix. It is a fairly standard thriller, despite a star-studded cast: Willis, Malkovich, Freeman, Mirren, Dreyfus, Borgnine, and Rebecca Pidgeon and Karl Urban. Ernest Borgnine is in his 90's and still sharp as a tack. The film was too droll to be exciting and not witty enough to be satirical. It never rose above amusing. It was directed by Robert Schwentke, who did episodes of Fox's Lie To Me. On a scale of five: two-and-a-half.
After the movie I channel-surfed and came upon the premiere of Combat Hospital on ABC. Although it is far more serious, the show will arouse inevitable comparisons to MASH. In fact, there was a real familiarity to the stress and marathon work sessions the unit faced, which was captured excellently in its beloved predecessor. Even though humor is minimal, I don't know if the program will offer any new insight into the situation. Of course, all these years later the depiction of sex and violence is more graphic, and the language more liberal in prime time. I will watch more episodes. The cast is appealing. I believe the audience's connection to the characters rather than the sensational aspects will determine the future of the series. I loved MASH when it first aired, but now find it lacking whenever I run across a rerun.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment