Total Pageviews

Monday, June 13, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 6/13

Kudos to the Dallas Mavericks, champions of the NBA. I didn't think they had it in them. I'm glad I was wrong. Dirk Nowitzki has been vindicated. Several years ago, facing the same Miami Heat, pre-Labron, in the finals, he missed free throws that would have given the Mavs a 3-0 series lead. The series turned around, Miami winning the next four games and the title. I didn't think he'd get another chance. I thought Jason Kidd, a rare player who makes everyone around him better, was too old when the Mavs acquired him. I remember the uproar when he was accused of beating his wife during his stint with the New Jersey Nets. He was excoriated in the press and by most people at work, although details of the event were never disclosed. Was it a pattern of abuse or a single argument that got out of control? It was never made clear. I withheld judgment. Things happen between a man and wife. I witnessed it in my own family. It's something that is never forgotten and leaves emotional scars, especially on children. These instances can eclipse the thousands of days when there were no altercations. "Never hit a woman," several of my co-workers said. That is the correct standard, of course, but life is what it is, not how we want it to be. No one outside Kidd's family knows what actually occurred.
As for the Miami Heat and its three-headed Lebron-Wade-Bosh monster, I hope they've been humbled, but I doubt it. The modern athlete lacks humility and class with few exceptions. If they remain healthy, they will get their rings, perhaps next year. A little fine tuning and they'll remain the team to beat. The Celtics and Spurs have gotten old, and it's doubtful the Mavs will repeat, given the age of their squad. It appears the Chicago Bulls and Oklahoma City Thunder stand in the Heat's way. And perhaps the Lakers. I don't understand what happened to them this season, but it was refreshing not having them in the finals.
I don't know if it was the cool weather, but I sold a lot of books the past two days, none of mine, of course. Oh, well, maybe tomorrow.
Read Vic's stories, free:  http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment