Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 6/1

My friend, actor-singer extraordinaire Johnny Feets, is in the process of moving, that high anxiety process everyone goes through at some point. Friends have described me as a minimalist, but it didn't feel that way those times I moved. It's amazing how much is accumulated along the way. John is giving things away right now. He approached the floating bookshop with two bags of books, including novels by Stephen King, Dan Brown and Ann Rice, and a huge coffee table book (at least twice the size of the usual) designed by Calvin Klein that features beautiful pictures of pop stars. It was bought immediately by Steve, a goombah and employee of Coney Island Hospital, who has treated me well in the past. He also took a Gin Blossoms CD. Thanks, guys.
Feets is relocating to Bath Beach, about a mile from where I grew up, so I probably won't see him any more, unless he gets the silly notion to visit me at my Sunday spot on Bay Parkway. We had our usual long conversation on the arts. I'll miss him. He is a nice, old-fashion kid.
It was a rather dull day. Fortunately, Esther stopped by to alleviate the boredom. She also lives in the Atlantic Towers complex. She is suffering anxiety because of the bed bug problem. She received letters from management threatening her with eviction if she doesn't allow the fumigators into her apartment. I assured her the process is no big whup. She has no health issues that might be compromised by the toxins.
Another woman, energetic despite her age, told me how successful she was selling books on the street in Manhattan. She gave me several of tips, none of which I can use unless I want to argue with police officers. Even though she helped kill time, I wish she hadn't stopped. I got to feeling glum about the whole book-selling process, despite yesterday's success. What have you done for me lately.
The move of my stories to fictionaut.com has generated early returns. Numb and Number drew two positive responses. Thanks, Tim and Maryanne. If you visit my website, many of the links will lead to nowhere. It will be a few more days before I begin posting the url to my alternate site. I want to get most of the links up to snuff. For now: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment