Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 5, 2018

The Writer's Life 7/5 - The Battle

The left has gotten one of their most sought scalps. EPA chief Scott Pruitt has resigned. He has been dogged by charges of corruption for months. Are they just, or simply vengeance against someone who threatened the almost free reign of environmental zealots? My hunch is the latter. His assistant will now step into the post. Even if most of the heavy lifting has been done and further corrections aren't needed, expect liberals to go after him hard. Regardless, it will be nothing compared to the heat that will be directed at the next Supreme Court nominee.

My main achilles' heal in life is an acute sense of futility, which I'm certain many experience. I mean, what's the point of the struggle when we all wind up in the grave? Still, despite this, I don't find it hard to motivate myself to try to achieve. After all, what's the alternative - staying home? Indulging, in my case, the sweet tooth non-stop? Despite the apparent meaninglessness of it all, it's still better to be working toward a goal or goals. This morning there was an item in the NY Post that reported the findings of a poll on happiness. It found that those in a traditional marriage were no more likely to be happy than those who were in an open one that condones infidelity. Although I told myself this's the way western society is evolving, it proved to be a rationalization that failed to deflect sadness. Although I know life is viewed differently by individuals, I am unable to separate the marriage vow from faithfulness. Although I realize those in open relationships may be viewing life more realistically than most folks, I find it so hard to congratulate them on their sophistication. Although I've never married, I love the idea of two people making a complete commitment to each other. Although I don't want to view the finding of the poll as evidence of another of humanity's steps toward the abyss, I suppose deep down I believe it indicates precisely that. It tapped into my sense of futility in a big way. I wonder if the futility of the fight is what finally did in Scott Pruitt.


Let's lighten up with ten funny quotes on life, culled from various sites:
“Life doesn't imitate art, it imitates bad television.” ― Woody Allen
"All my life I thought air was free, until I bought a bag of chips." - Anonymous
“When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye.” – Cathy Guisewite
“If a book about failures doesn’t sell, is it a success?” – Jerry Seinfeld
“What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife.” – Rodney Dangerfield
“Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.” – Elbert Hubbard
"It's not a lie if you believe it." - George Costanza
"Go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company." - Mark Twain
"Ifso fatso." - Archie Bunker
"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - George Carlin

And in the daily battle versus futility - my thanks to the local home attendant who bought a Betty Crocker book on microwave cooking, and The South Beach Diet by Arthur Agatston M.D; and to the guy who calls me Irv, who purchased L. Ron Hubbard's Dianetics; and to the gentleman who selected The Story of Jazz by Marshall Stearns; and to Herbie, who returned two books on celebrities he'd borrowed; and to Andy F-Bomb, who donated two paperback thrillers.

No comments:

Post a Comment