Total Pageviews

Friday, July 20, 2018

The Writer's Life 7/20 - Nuggets

The hysteria exhibited in modern life is at once amusing and vexing. People have been living with asbestos for decades. A few, probably those with weak immune systems that make them vulnerable to any potential carcinogen, allegedly contracted cancer from it. Suddenly most folks are paranoid about it, which makes attorneys who get rich from lawsuits very happy. Shysters must be delirious about yesterday's explosion in Manhattan. A wonderful woman who greets me warmly several times a week and occasionally gives me goodies mentioned her new fear of traveling to midtown, which she frequently visits. She carries an umbrella to ward off the sun. A few weeks ago she complained about a nearby construction site where dust was blowing, and said she was on her way to tell the local political hack about it. Knowing she has battled cancer, I resisted the urge to tell her to stop being paranoid. I might have if I didn't like her so much. Then again, I usually hold my piece even during the rants of Political Man, whom I haven't seen for a while - fortunately.

In his sports media column Phil Mushnick often laments the way modern baseball is managed, particularly the use of relief pitchers for one inning each from the sixth on. He has cited many instances where the strategy has backfired, particularly if a guy who pitched a 1-2-3 inning was removed and the next man got rocked, blowing the game. Today he supported his view with a terrific quote from former MLB pitcher Ron Darling, who is now on the Mets broadcast team: "They pay the big money to the starters, then expect the relievers to win the game." Although I know managers stick to a consistent strategy believing the percentages will fall in their favor over the long haul, and also that millions are invested in talented throwing arms, which encourages babying, I believe elite starters should be pitching more innings or, at least, to a pitch count of 100-110.

The current top selling NFL jersey is: QB Nick Foles, Super Bowl hero of the Philadelphia Eagles - and he isn't even a starter!

Gracelyn Griffin couldn't wait to come into the world. Her mom gave birth to her in the bathroom of a San Antonio Chik-fil-A. Mother and child are fine. The company says Gracelyn will have free food for life and a job when she turns 14. And the family has a great story to tell for generations to come.
Welcome to the great adventure, little one.


My thanks to the woman who donated a book in Russian, and to another who bought one; and to the gentleman who purchased Lawrence Sanders' The Sixth Commandment; and to Michael, who selected a Catherine Coulter romance. I had one of those awkward moments trying to recall someone's name. I hadn't see Alun in at least a year. Six months ago he lost his job in the health field when his boss was busted for Medicare fraud. He recently interviewed for another after filling out scores of applications. He was fresh from the gym, his T-shirt soaked. He bought Present and Past. I was relieved he didn't ask me to sign it, as I would have been forced to ask his name, which finally occurred to me as I was closing shop. Thank you, young man, and best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment