Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Writer's Life 7/17 - The Beat Goes On

The reviews on President Trump's meeting with Putin are almost universal in condemnation. I can't argue with that, as his stance was disappointing. Still, if the election were tomorrow, I'd vote for him. I believe his policies have been sound. Whether they will be successful is still a long way from being determined. The swamp remains the problem.

I've begun reading a work of non-fiction published in 1959. Through 70+ pages it has been interesting but challenging. The author is obviously way more educated than I. Here are words that were completely foreign to me: Lickerish, defined as characterized by sly grins and dirty jokes; and Venery, defined as sexual indulgence; Snudge, defined as stingy and niggardly; Velleity, defined as the lowest degree of volition. There were others I was too lazy to jot down and look up.

I somehow knocked over my computer desk. Fortunately, the laptop survived. Unfortunately, the remote mouse has stopped working. I'm using the touch pad. Ugh!

The rain held off long enough to allow a full session of the floating book shop. My thanks to the gentleman who bought God Loves You No Matter What by Judy Ladd, and to Matt, who purchased a Julia Child bio; and to Barry, professor of criminology at John Jay College, who selected a book on the Beat Generation, on which he's writing a paper. I've never been able to relate to the Beats. I guess I'm too square. Barry's also working on a book on opium, and asked that I set aside any works on the theme that may come my way. Thanks also to the woman who donated three books in Russian, and to local porter Rob, who gave me five impressive works of non-fiction.




No comments:

Post a Comment