Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

The Writer's Life 3/6 - EGOTs & more

On his radio talk show this morning, Mark Simone mentioned EGOTs. I did not recall having heard the term. It is an acronym for those who have won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony Award. 12 people have been so honored: Richard Rodgers, Helen Hayes, Rita Moreno. John Gielgud, Audrey Hepburn, Marvin Hamlisch, Jonathan Tunick (Composr/Conductor), Mel Brooks, Mike Nichols, Whoopi Goldberg, Scott Rudin (Producer) and Robert Lopez (Composer). Another six have won three of the awards and been bestowed an honorary one in a fourth: James Earl Jones, Alan Menken (Composer), Liza Minnelli, Barbra Streisand, Quincy Jones and Harry Belafonte. 83 artists, including the six just mention, have won three of the awards. Several have passed away.


I eliminated another of my individual stock holdings. I'd put an order to sell my 48 shares of Conduent, a business process services company, at $20. It was spun off from Xerox, one of my big losers. I'm now about two grand in the hole on it. The only reason I held onto it is because it continued to pay dividends through hard times. I'm hoping it gets bought out by a successful firm. Management seems clueless in adapting to the post copier world.

It looks like NYC's run of good luck regarding this year's winter is about to run out big time. The forecast is for a foot of snow. Fortunately, it will be followed by five straight days of temperatures in the 40's, four of them sunny, one with a threat of rain/snow. I'm glad I've left the shovel in the car. I'm hoping for a quick melt, which usually happens in March. Just in case, I will go out later and try to find a parking spot on the left hand side of the street. I put off a bunch of tasks to help fill the hours tomorrow. I'm hoping the book shop will return Saturday.

My thanks to Mr. Conspiracy, who settled his tab, and to the woman who purchased Danielle Steel's Palomino, and to the other who bought a book in Russian. Special thanks to the woman who donated a box of CD's just as I was about to leave. Last year she gave me about 100 classical albums, all of which sold. I will bring the new batch, 50 or so, to the apartment when I go out to move the old Hyundai, and sort through them manana.


No comments:

Post a Comment