Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The Writer's Life 3/13 - Inspection, Fish Oil & Rodents

Car inspection socked me this year - $744. Two tires, exhaust pipes replacement, windshield wipers, miscellaneous tinkering. In December the "Check Engine" light came on and that cost $300+ to fix. One more major problem and I will seriously consider giving up the old Hyundai. Fortunately, I'm a saver, not a spender, so it's not that big a deal. Still, only psychopaths like to lose money.


Yesterday I visited the vitamin aisle in Stop n Shop to see if Fish Oil was on sale. Supposedly it, among other things, helps keep cholesterol in check. Krill oil is said to be better and not give one gas, but it costs 50% more. The Fish Oil wasn't on sale, so I decided to wait until I'd checked at CVS. Sure enough, it was listed as buy one, get one free. I brought two bottles to the self check-out and it said nothing about reduced price. I hit the Help tab and soon an employee approached, took one of the bottles and ran it under the price checker. No sale. I assumed I'd selected the wrong ones. I went back and carefully read the ticket, which stated "1200 MG, Buy One, Get One Free." I took them to the regular check-out. No deal. The cashier said sometimes the sale pertains to "select items." What - items that are approaching the expiration date? Weird. I said I was sorry and left without buying anything. I've gotten so many good deals and dollar-off coupons there that I didn't feel it was right to give the crew a hard time, especially since they don't set the prices.

Ten or so days ago some yahoo dumped a Hefty bag full of onions on top of the dumpster at the corner of Avenue Z and E. 13th. The next day it was completely shredded. Rats had gotten to it. A few days ago, while running the floating book shop, I saw one scurrying in the garden that runs along the front of the apartment building there. I informed Luis, the porter, who said an exterminator had laid out traps and poison, and that the rats were laughing at the poison. As I left for my morning walk a couple of days ago, I thought I saw one running under a car parked right in front of our building. I just mentioned it to Jeff, one of our porters, who said it's been a problem for a while. I assume the guy with the onions is disgruntled. At first I thought it was somebody incensed at the lack of parking spaces. There's another dumpster mid block, there's a trailer owned by a guy waiting to close on an apartment sale, and a hole in the ground, surrounded by wooden horses, that has not been repaired since it was dug weeks ago, all of which makes the scarcity of space a whole lot worse. The perp is most likely someone who got the boot from the job of pointing the bricks and redoing the terraces of the three LeFrak buildings that occupy the entire block. The repairs to the last is approaching the start of its second year - with no end in sight.

Again NYC has dodged snow accumulation. This time it's zero. Desperate for a positive note, I took the shovel and ice scraper I keep in the car during the winter back to the apartment. The long range forecast calls for temperatures above freezing. It looks so nice right now I'm tempted to go out and set up the book shop.
My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/Vic-Fortezza/e/B002M4NLJE

No comments:

Post a Comment