Total Pageviews

Friday, March 2, 2018

The Writer's Life 3/2 - This n That

Here's more evidence that Turkey's leader is no friend of the USA and possibly dangerous, from a NY Post editorial, edited by yours truly: While delivering a speech last week, Recep Erdogan spotted a little girl weeping and saluting. He brought her to the stage and said: "... If she becomes a martyr, God Willing, this flag will be draped on her."

My biggest and perhaps only beef regarding President Trump's economic policy is his protectionist threats. Yesterday he called for a 25% tariff on steel and 10% on aluminum. If enacted, they might incite a trade war that will affect the pocketbooks of American consumers negatively. I hope it's only a ploy to get other countries to negotiate better deals.

Among the gifts in this year's Oscar swag bag, worth in the neighborhood of $100,000, is mace in a camouflaged container. Here's a pic of last year's gift, followed by the aforementioned. Future Harvey Weinsteins take note:





Just to be on the safe side, I checked the level of lower Sheepshead Bay while on my morning walk, which began just after six AM. From across Emmons Avenue it looked like it was five feet from breaching. I opened the newspaper as soon as I got home and went right to the weather page, where the tides had been listed in the past. To my surprise, they're still there. High tide at Coney Island was scheduled for just short of eight AM. I didn't move the old Hyundai until after eleven, and I did that just to make sure there wouldn't be an unhappy surprise tomorrow morning. The car had sat idle since Monday. I spent the day attending to chores, and reading 30 more pages, in increments of ten, of next year's novel, Inside Out. I'm about two-thirds of the way through. Also, for the first time, I boned up on how to run the video portion of my camera. I shot myself playing My Funny Valentine, plucking a note for each word of the lyrics. The film was fine but there was no sound. I didn't know a mic is required - duh. There's a tiny portal for it. I'm certain that there wasn't one in the package, that it has to be purchased separately. Maybe I'll get around to it some day.

I just returned from a pizza run at Delmar. It seems the worst of the storm is upon us, the wind vicious. A mix of rain, sleet and snow is in the air. Any accumulation shouldn't be much. We've been very lucky in that regard this year, and may it continue in the weeks ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment