Total Pageviews

Monday, March 12, 2018

The Writer's Life 3/12 - Handouts & Other Delights

One doesn't know whether to laugh or cry at the shenanigans of politicians. NYC is offering the homeless living in shelters a year's rent to move upstate to Binghamton. Leaders of that city are not happy. I expect those who take advantage of the offer to return, hand out, in 12 months.


For the first time since my hiring at the Commodity Exchange in 1983, I will not be participating in a NCAA Basketball Tournament pool, which was an event to which many employees looked forward. Since I was let go in 2007 I'd been participating in free online pools. I'm not protesting anything. It simply reflects my decreasing interest in sports.

Yesterday Tiger Woods finally justified the media's preferential treatment of him, finishing second by one stroke at the latest stop on the PGA Tour, the Valspar Championship outside Tampa. He seems to have regained form and is once again a threat to break Jack Nicklaus' record for victories in majors, 18. Woods has won 14, his last at the 2008 U.S. Open. Man, time flies.

Since another nor'easter is on the way, and since melting snow is still dripping from the scaffold at my usual book nook, I gave up the most favorable parking spot and took the car in for the always worrisome annual inspection. The most obvious need is the windshield wiper on the passenger side, which is shredding. I just got the call from Ralph, the manager of Emil's, whom I trust. Two tires and an exhaust pipe need to be replaced, so the old Hyundai will be in the shop overnight. I'm not surprised about the exhaust problem. I heard it and assumed it was the muffler. I expected to be told the shocks were shot too. He didn't mention anything about it and I wasn't about to volunteer the info. At least the ordeal will be done some time tomorrow.

I had to move the display away from the curbside when water started cascading from the scaffold, which is pitched slightly toward Avenue Z. My thanks to the three ladies who between them bought four books in Russian, to Ira, who purchased The Patient's Guide to Surgery by Edward L. Bradley; and to the gentleman who sorted through the box of CD's and selected three, including a collection of Fleetwood Mac's best work. Thanks also to the woman who donated three books in Russian, and to Alan, who dropped off a copy of Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally.
My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/Vic-Fortezza/e/B002M4NLJE
FB: https://www.facebook.com/Vic-Fortezza-Author-118397641564801/?fref=ts
Read Vic's Stories, free: http://fictionaut.com/users/vic-fortezza

No comments:

Post a Comment