Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The Writer's Life 3/20 - Round Four

According to an article in today's NY Post, a recent poll of 803 Americans cites that a majority believes there is a "shadowy deep state cabal that secretly runs the government" - and the belief is spread fairly evenly across party lines. Many believe the government spies on everyone. I don't believe that. Most people go about their business each day without much thought about politics and I doubt anyone is watching them. Of course, if anyone were perceived as a real threat it would be easy to track him/her in this age of technological marvels. Anyone who spied on me would probably fall asleep from boredom. I do, however, believe that Washington is a swamp, a behemoth that has evolved through the years and taken on epic proportions, and that it makes life worse, not better, for those who work the hardest and play by the rules most of the time. President Trump is doing what he can to change that, but in the end the swamp, which includes Democrats and Republicans, will probably prevail. It has become so powerful.


It will be interesting to see how partisans react to the latest school shooting, in which an "armed school resource officer" engaged the 17-year-old perp, who had shot two students, one of whom is in critical condition. It is under investigation, so it's probably best to refrain from comment until the facts are revealed, but don't expect that to be the case on social media.

The Yankees-Red Sox rivalry is arguably MLB's most heated. Does playing a series in London sound like a good idea? Negotiations are underway for two regular season games in 2019. I've been wrong so many times on innovations, so I should probably shut up. Besides, I don't watch baseball anymore, so it's none of my business. Still...

With the fourth Nor'easter of the month on the way, I felt compelled to open the floating book shop despite the cold. Without sunshine, it wasn't easy, but I managed to put in two hours. My thanks to the local home attendant who bought two CD's, two Harlequin romances and a cook book; and to Ludmila, who purchased a Russian-English dictionary; and to Romanian-born artist Andu, who visited for the second straight day. This time he went for CD's, buying five. The latest weather event is entirely my fault. Last week I took the shovel I keep in the car during winter back to the apartment, jinxing everyone. I doubt NYC will get off as easy it has the previous three storms, two of which had barely any accumulation. It feels like all snow this time. How fast will it melt? If it warms up on Thursday, do I shovel out an area in front of the Chase bank, as I've done in the past?

No comments:

Post a Comment