Total Pageviews

Friday, March 30, 2018

The Writer's Life 3/30 - General Accounting

Kudos to young Darius Bazley of Cincinnati, who has decided to skip the sham that is one-and-done in major college basketball and immediately opt for the NBA's G League. He is the first to do so. I hope it starts a trend that will return college sports to student-athletes.

Yesterday I received notice of a class action lawsuit initiated against Facebook. I ripped it up. I love FB. It has allowed me to contact people I would likely have never heard from again, and it has led to a few book sales. Does it have sins? Certainly, as any human being does, but its pluses far outweigh it minuses.

From Yahoo Sports, edited by yours truly: Last night the Chicago Blackhawks used an accountant in their 6-2 win against Winnipeg. Scott Foster stopped all seven shots fired at him in the last 14 minutes of the third period. The original backup goalie was pressed into service when the starter was injured before the game. Foster, 36, wasn’t literally pulled from the stands. A former college goalie, he plays in a beer league and is a member of the emergency goalie roster for the 'Hawks home games. All NHL venues must have goalies on call in the event that the two pros from either team are both sidelined. I was about to pass on the story when I learned Foster played collegiately at Western Michigan, my alma mater. He said: "A few hours ago I was sitting on the computer typing..." The Blackhawks became just the fourth team since 1943 to play two goalies making their NHL debuts. Here's a pic. The belt draped over Foster's shoulder has become a team tradition, awarded to the most outstanding player in a victory:

 

On my morning walk, just after six AM, I ran into young Romanian-born artist Andu. He was wearing his Batman mask, and not in a good frame of mind. He joined me for a ways. I asked if he'd been paid for the painting I saw him carrying the other day when he was in an upbeat, positive mood. The buyer didn't show. Andu then went into a rant, spewing F-bombs, wishing evil upon those who have stiffed him. In my experience, I've come to accept losses as the cost of doing business. I mentioned this to Andu, hoping it would placate him. I should have known better. He went on to say that Hitler had been duped by Mengele, the real villain of the Holocaust along with the Illuminati. He believes he is being plagued by the number 44, which in his troubled mind stands for the devil's music. The Satanic figure in Mark Twain's The Mysterious Stranger is referred to as number 44.  He was not completely out of control, as he quieted as we approached two cops entering Bagel Boy. He thanked them for their service. He touched on his favorite author, the late Phillip K. Dick, whom he expects will be returning soon in a giant spaceship. When we reached St. Mark's rectory, he stopped suddenly and said: "I better get home. My mother's probably worried about me." I imagine she does little else than worry about him.

My thanks to the kind folks who bought books today. Special thanks to local super Robert, who wheeled a shopping cart full of books to me. Most are encyclopedia-like volumes of weird stuff that occurred in specific states. I also had a visit from one of my favorites, Mira, a 30-something immigrant from the Ukraine who in December earned a degree in Literature from St. Joseph's College. Two weeks later she began working there as a financial aid advisor, a wise personnel decision by the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment