Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/7 - Errors

I recently earned a $35 gift card doing a survey. Since I haven't carried copies of Close to the Edge for about two years, I decided to order a couple, hoping to have all five of my books on display at the floating book shop once/if Exchanges makes it into print. Edge was self-published way back in 2000. I never regretted having done it that way, even though I lost about $500 on the deal, using the strictest calculations. Most of those copies were bought with money and gift certificates I earned on the web, not out of pocket. If I counted those costs as zero, the book would be profitable. Of course, the figures don't show the invaluable experience I gained in what to do with my other books. I have a chance to break even on Adjustments, and I've turned a slight profit on both A Hitch in Twilight and Killing. I managed to sell 348 copies of Edge, but I bought them in such dribs and drabs and often at full cost at Amazon or B&N that I made it virtually impossible to ever recoup my investment in terms of real and virtual dollars. The only way I would is if about 150 people bought it on the web, as it is not available in physical stores. The royalty is $3.59 per copy. The only way those of us at the bottom of the heap would achieve literary financial success would be to generate web sales. With at least eight million titles available, the competition is fierce. Anyway, getting back to my most recent order. The package seemed a little thin. I assumed they had mailed a copy that was on hand and would send the other later. Wrong! There was one copy of Edge and one of The Presbyterian Elder, a guide for those who aspire to that position. I just sent out a second email, explaining the situation. Will they believe me? I'm skeptical. AuthorHouse changed its name from 1st Books Library years ago, perhaps to avoid the stench of the bad ratings it received from disappointed writers. I never had a problem with them until they stopped paying royalties for copies bought with a gift certificate, as if they weren't receiving full value. In my case, they owe me about $25. Instead of getting into a long fight with them, I simply stopped ordering books. This time I should at least receive the seven dollars of royalty, which would make the total cost of the book 22 and change, a potential loss of twelve dollars. If I get the other copy and sell them at ten each, it would be a loss of only two. Either way, it will be such fun to have five of my own books on display, or even four if Exchanges doesn't see the light of day..

In order to secure a favorable parking spot to operate the floating book shop, I left the house an hour before the alternate side regulation expired. Alas, it did not help - no sales today, and it looks like I'll be sidelined at least the next two days. The local news departments are in a panic about the coming storm. This morning WOR-AM's John Gambling welcomed Congressman Peter King to discuss the drone controversy. King facetiously apologized for interrupting the biggest story of all time, the storm, drawing howls from the crew, all of whom could be heard laughing in the background. It was a great dig (pun intended) at the folly that is local news any time a weather event approaches.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment