Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/20 - Bluster

I don’t like Alec Baldwin, chiefly because of his smug, know-it-all political views. In fact, I used him as a model in a rant-like short story, Actor-Activist, which is available to read for free at my website, link below. He obviously has anger management issues, as his infamous diatribe to his teenage daughter and other incidents have manifested. It has become difficult for me to watch anything in which he performs, although he is an excellent actor. Any movie in which he is featured would have to be universally applauded by critics for me to view. I haven’t seen a single episode of 30 Rock, despite its excellent reputation. I have little patience for sitcoms to begin with, which I know is narrow-minded, given my addiction to Seinfeld, which I never viewed in its prime time heyday, either. All that said, I don’t believe for an instant Baldwin is a racist, despite the things he said recently to a black NY Post photographer. I believe he is a creep, but even creeps should get a pass on anything said in anger. I said terrible things to my parents that still haunt me from time to time, and I loved them. These days I put a cork in myself when it comes to political arguments for fear of saying anything regrettable to friends I love who fail to see the obvious as I see it. I use literary characters to get points across and hope that opposing thought is represented fairly in my works. Regarding Baldwin's buffoonery as a hate crime is ridiculous, although it is always fun to see the left victimized by one of its own ideas.

This morning I received an email in the name of a woman I was crazy about, whom I haven't seen for more than five years. It was a link to a travel agency. It immediately brought faded feelings to the forefront and raised a quandary within me. I was fairly certain her email address, perhaps unused or abandoned, had been hijacked by another of those dastardly fishers. Suppose it wasn't? I thought. I clicked on the link, hoping my anti-virus program would detect an invasion. It led to a page at Fox News that featured information on a Raspberry fat burner. So I had to decide whether to ignore it or send her a message about it. Would it be perceived as a desperate reaching out? Since one can never be sure how much trouble such a hijacking may cause, I chose to give her a heads up. I kept it formal and pleasant. As I've said a million times, the mind never ceases to fascinate, especially in matters of the heart.

When I waited only a minute for the perfect parking spot to open up this morning, I hoped it was a good omen for the floating book shop. Alas, it wasn't. Although several people browsed, no one bought on this frigid, blustery day. After the session, I walked to Ali Baba's gyro truck. For the first time since I've been asking him how his business was doing, he responded in the negative. I don't know that any conclusions about the economy can be drawn from this, but it does give one pause.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment