Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/13 - Thanks

I’m becoming addicted to BBC mystery series broadcast on Cablevision Channel 21. The latest is DCI Banks, set in contemporary Yorkshire, a large county in the north of England, whose largest city is Leeds, the site of the famous live Who album. I’ve watched at least four of the 14 episodes filmed so far, and find it engrossing. It stars Stephen Tompkinson, a veteran of European TV. I scanned his credits at IMDb and did not spot a single movie appearance, which seems odd, as he is excellent in the title role. Only two people have rated it, so I wouldn’t put much stock in the 6.5 out of ten. It’s a lot better than that. Perhaps they are comparing it to the novels of Peter Robinson, on which the show is based. Readers seem, as a rule, dissatisfied with film adaptations. This is at least the fifth such series that has hooked me while I was channel surfing. The others are Foyle’s War, starring Michael Kitchen, set in Hastings during WWII; Wallander, starring Kenneth Branagh, set in modern Sweden, based on the novels of Henning Mankell; Vera, starring Brenda Blethyn, set in modern rural England, based on the novels of Ann Cleeves; and my favorite, Zen, starring Rufus Sewell, set in modern Rome, based on the novels of Michael Dibdin, which aired only three episodes and apparently has been discontinued. Each runs about 75 minutes, without commercial breaks. Since only a handful of each is filmed, it seems to guarantee care and quality. Of course, they are often grim, dealing with the ugly side of human nature. I enjoy these programs so much more than the mystery novels I‘ve sampled. Perhaps at the end of the day it's simply a good way to escape oneself and the troubles of the real world. Or maybe I've just chosen the wrong books.

There is great news out of Hollywood. Steve Martin, 64, has become a first time dad. I remember a friend reacting negatively when Tony Randall, who was even older, had a child. His perspective was that of a young father who looked forward to sharing his children's youth. Mine was that of a middle age man who regretted not ever having had a child. Even though Randall died a few years later and Martin, heaven forbid, might die tomorrow, I think both children would be extremely grateful to have been given life. I've enjoyed Martin's work through the years. I'm sure he will love the kid to death and that his wealth and young wife, 41, will provide the care the physical limitations of his age might prevent. Congratulations, sir, and long life.

I had a couple of great moments operating the floating book shop today. Lev, one of my best customers, stopped by and bought three classical CDs -- Chopin, Strauss and Grieg - and a Jeffrey Deaver audio book. Later, old Simon, bless his heart, came walking up East 13th, pulling a cart laden with a dozen books, most of them hardcover best sellers. Months ago he mentioned how much he enjoyed pianist Carmen Cavallaro's work. I remembered the name because it's Italian in origin and because a classmate of mine, whose dad's plane was shot down in Korea, was named Cavallaro. The junior high up the street from my old house is named in his honor. Anyway, among Marie's latest music donation was a disc featuring The Poet of the Piano, who began playing at three, came to prominence in the 30's, and died in '89. I gave it and a Billy Eckstine CD to Simon, who must have given me 100 books by now, and he was thrilled, which thrilled me. Thank you, sir, and to Lev and to the woman who bought a Fern Michaels romance.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment