Total Pageviews

Friday, February 15, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/15 - Visualizing

Here’s a young woman who’s the personification of pluck. Earlier this week Swedish golf rookie Daniela Holmqvist, 24, tried to qualify for the Women’s Australian Open. On the fourth hole she was bitten near an ankle by a spider of the widow family. Refusing to leave for medical attention, she dug the poison out with a golf tee and continued playing. She said: "A clear fluid came out. It wasn’t the prettiest thing I’ve ever done, but I had to get as much out of me as possible.” Unfortunately, she shot 74 and missed the cut. Golf refuses to lower its standards even in unusual circumstances. She is now on antibiotics. Be my valentine, Miss Holmqvist.

A few months ago I watched Incendies (2010) on DVD, a French-Canadian drama about twins, a male in female in their twenties, fulfilling their mom’s last wish, which reveals the hell she experienced in the Middle East before emigrating to Canada. It was directed by Denis Villaneuve. I was so impressed that I decided to try one of his earlier works, Maelstrom (2000). Although I didn’t like it as much, it is the fruit of someone willing to take chances, unafraid to examine humanity. In theme it has the bleak existentialism of Swedish master Ingmar Bergman, which is contrasted by beautiful cinematography and the narration of fish about to be chopped up for the market. In a way it sort of defines my view of life. I struggle to see any real meaning to it, but acknowledge the vast beauty that makes it worth living. I hope Villaneuve continues to make art that challenges.

Last night ABC premiered Zero Hour, starring TV veteran Anthony Edwards, at 8PM. The first episode had elements of Indiana Jones and Dan Brown, and a familiar apocalyptic theme. I was not bored, but not excited, either. I’ll give it at least one more look. My hunch is that it won’t be successful. I’ve been a little disappointed in the last two episodes of Nashville. Rayna’s storyline is getting very soapy. Juliet’s is far more interesting, as it concentrates on her musical evolution. And Scarlett’s still has potential, as does Avery‘s, although his character is unlikable. Elementary remains solid. It was refreshing to see the police Captain and Watson, haul off on Holmes in successive episodes. Such exasperating arrogance has to invite physical consequences. The only thing that worries me about the show is that it seems to be leaning toward Holmes and Watson becoming lovers. Right now that would strain credulity.

It was a glorious day weather-wise, not so much business-wise. I thank the only two customers I had, who each chose intellectual fare, one book on the ten steps the west needs to take to preserve the free world, and the other on creative visualization, a term I first heard in the 70's. I was a young assistant football coach in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and one of the other assistants, Bill Stuifbergen, a three-sport All-Stater in the 50's, used it, urging young athletes to picture success before performing a feat. I found I did it subconsciously, almost exclusively on the golf course. Unfortunately, the results were usually a lot different than I envisioned.
Thanks, folks.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment