Total Pageviews

Monday, February 18, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/18 - Waiting

I've noticed one of those truncated cars, brand new, parked on East 13th. It's a Sports 1. A young educator who donated many books and CDs to the floating book shop is the owner. It's looks no more than five feet long. She said it is made with the same steel that's used for race cars, and that it has tons of airbags. It gets 40 miles to the gallon and holds $30 worth of gas at current prices. And she always finds parking. She doesn't have kids yet, so interior space isn't a problem, but I wonder how much stuff she and her husband could fit in it. I imagine they do their shopping in stages. I'm sure she's a careful driver, as am I, for the most part. Still, I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable in such a vehicle, no matter how many air bags it has. At least it runs on gas, doesn't have to plugged in to a re-charger. What a nightmare that must be. Electric cars are the toys of the rich, a feel-good purchase, about one-percent of the market. Hybrids are three-percent. I'll hold out for an environmentally correct car that performs well and is reasonably priced, unless I too become rich.

Sign of the times: A few days ago in L.A. dozens protested the death of ex-LAPD cop and alleged murderer of four, Christopher Dorner, who burned to death in a cabin after shooting himself in the head as authorities closed in on him. In the same vein, many black leaders are demanding an end to the NYPD's stop and frisk tactic, despite the fact that NYC has become the safest big city in America. Illegal handguns are used in most of the homicides in the metropolitan area. Another measure to attack this would be a mandatory prison term for anyone carrying one. I'm sure this too would be opposed, as many of those arrested would be young black males. I'm waiting for leaders to continually call out the perpetrators, put the blame on the actual violators, where it belongs, rather than on social and environmental factors. The programs they favor have led to the breakdown of the family, the absence of fathers, the single-most common denominator of the incarcerated.

The wait to see my fifth book, fourth novel, Exchanges, in print, is becoming annoying. The only good thing is that I'm adding survey funds to my Paypal account so that I'll be able to buy more copies than I'd expected. With that in my mind, my gut just contracted as I spotted an email in my junk file that said I'd sent an $150 payment to someone I'd never heard of. I didn't click on the link. I simply copied the email and sent it to Paypal's security department. Fortunately, the account was untouched. One has to be constantly on guard against these dastardly phishers.

It wasn't nearly as windy as yesterday, but it was still frigid. Even the perfect parking spot was of no help today as I sat waiting in the back seat, hoping customers would show. Although it proved futile, it had to be done, as I've been surprised so many times, even in harsh weather. Only one of my regulars showed, and he didn't find anything to his liking. Get 'em next time.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment