Total Pageviews

Friday, September 23, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 9/23

The floating bookshop was rained out today.
I looked forward to the premiere of A Person of Interest. I like the two stars, Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson. The latter was the main villain on Lost, an unabashed liar, so it was amusing to hear him say in his new role that he will never lie. That remains to be seen. Since Caviezel has done such serious work in film, such as the role of Jesus in Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ, I expected this series to be meaty. I was disappointed. He is playing an action hero. I’ll have to adjust my mindset to enjoy it.
I enjoyed the season debut of The Mentalist, which was as manipulative as its main character, so charmingly played with boyish roguishness by Simon Baker. At the close of last season, it seemed the main story arc had been resolved, which would have been refreshing, as a program will go on as long as possible and then shoot a grand finale. I’m hoping it will be resolved early, as the strength of the show is the interplay of the characters. I fear the arc will drag on as interminably as that of The X-Files. I have the same fear for Castle, a show similar to The Mentalist in that it is about a charming outsider working with police. In the case of Castle, the co-star is the focus of the main arc. Again, the interplay of the characters is better than the story lines, which move so swiftly as to leave logic in the dust. Nathan Filion and Stana Katic have wonderful chemistry. Like The Mentalist, it’s all about silly fun - except for the main arc.
I was intrigued by the premise of Unforgettable, which is about a woman with a photographic memory. I was leery, as I am not a fan of Poppy Montgomery, beautiful though she is. She had a great run on Without a Trace, so it’s just one of those things. Sometimes one simply does not connect with an artist. I have never been able to warm up to the work of Steve Guttenberg or Matthew McConaughey, or James Taylor in music. They are all very successful, but their gifts are lost on me. It’s a mystery. I found the opening episode of Unforgettable routine. I’ll give it a few more weeks, though. I miss the intelligence of the original Law and Order. SVU is too enamored of the sensational, which often comes off as ludicrous. And Criminal Minds has worn out its welcome. Serial killers are as prevalent on TV as vampires. The public can’t get enough of them. I’ve had my fill, at least for now. Tonight - the season premiere of Fringe.
Read Vic’s stories, free:  http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment