Total Pageviews

Monday, September 5, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 9/5

The rain has held off so far. The forecast for the rest of the week is grim. The way business has been lately, I'm not sure it matters. I sold only an Ultimate Sinatra CD, which I burned on my PC, and I went way down in price to make sure I walked away with something today. Later, when the woman who has donated dozens of books on knitting visited and asked if I were interested in other stuff, I told her not to bring too much. She returned an hour later with five Stephen King novels, three of them pristine hardcovers, and a Rachel Ray cookbook, and two other horror novels, but it won't matter if people are not buying. Thanks, folks.
I've known Antonin, Mr. Su Do Ku, for a few years. He always stops and asks how things are going. He is the author of two self-published books. He is a retired engineer who has lived all over the world. I would guess he has a very high IQ. Today he took out his iphone and showed me how a games site has cited his books as references. He wrote his first in England in 1981 and had it published through a printer. It's only 18 pages and long out of print. He has no idea how the website found out about it. As he showed me a picture of the cover, I noted what I thought was a pseudonym - Hans Hollenstein. It turns out that is his real name, not Antonin. I assume he didn't trust me when we first met. He frequently talks about identity theft, how easy it is. He even mentioned it today. I wasn't angry or insulted. I didn't call him on it. I let it go. No harm came from it. After all, what do we really know about each other besides the fact that we enjoy each other's company for a few minutes every now and then. In his heavy Swiss accent, he pronounces my name Wick. He's a good guy. Caution is barely a fault. I was unable to find that site and I don't remember the title of the book, but his second is: Creative Sudoku: Where Logic Meets Creativity. It's listed as "out of print" on Amazon.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment