Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 9/1

The mystery of the disappearance of Waj's gyro stand may have finally been solved. A gentleman told me he believes the business had lost customers since it raised its prices. A similar stand near Coney Island Hospital, eight blocks away, also run by Middle Easterners, has held their prices steady, five for a full plate, three for a wrap. And they have adapted to the clientele, adding Latin touches to their dishes, allowing people more choices. As usual, the modern adage rules: Follow the money.
I learned more about my most faithful customer, Susan. She spends her winters in Thailand, where her sons relocated years ago. One, a successful engineer, longed for a career change. He loved scuba diving and, when an opportunity in that field presented itself there, he took it. A few years later his brother followed and set up a law practice. Each married a Thai woman. Unfortunately, the first passed away suddenly. Susan still feels that crushing loss, as any parent would. Her grandchildren beg her to move there permanently. She won't because Medicare is not transportable. The kids go to an international school where over 50 nationalities are represented, even more than in a typical New York City school these days. She has been stockpiling books for them, including two more she purchased today.
For the second day in a row I brought out a Stephen King novel, The Tommyknockers, for the first time, and had it pounced on immediately. I also was paid by a nice Russian woman whom I let have two cook books on credit a few days ago. She had purchased from the floating bookshop in the past, so I believed she was good for it. Of course, I viewed it as business strategy. And what did I have to lose? The books don't cost me anything. All except mine have been donated.
Thanks, folks.
Read Vic's stories, free:   http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment