Total Pageviews

Monday, September 12, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 9/12

Political Man stopped by the floating book shop today and was in rare form. He is bummed that polls predict the seat of disgraced congressman Anthony Weiner will go to "a tea party asshole." And he blames "the fascists in the Hasidic community," and lamented their stupidity, their forgetting how Catholics have slaughtered Jews throughout history, especially during the inquisition and World War II. He dubbed Pope Pius XII "a Nazi." Apparently he assumes I'm Jewish and a liberal. I try to confine my politics to the voting booth and an occasional blog, so I just smiled. I used to respond when leftists friends posted comments on Facebook. I found it a waste of energy. Most of us are set in our beliefs and aren't going to change.
I was reminded of tomorrow's special election by Eddie, a retired teacher and friend of Arlynn. I thanked him but did not reveal which way I'll be voting. I'm not sure who he will vote for. Under normal circumstances, I'd bet he'd vote for the Democrat, but these are difficult times. Given the President's coolness toward Israel, and the overall state of the economy, people may cross lines. When Weiner lost his seat through his reckless stupidity, I said that it didn't matter, that he would be replaced by someone who shared his views. I'm thrilled that I may have been wrong, but still skeptical. New York Republicans are usually RINOs - Republicans in name only. I suspect this will be the case again. Time will tell.
I sold a Magic Eye book to a Russian gentleman. I avoided that craze, which produced a wonderful Seinfeld moment when Elaine freaked on her boss, Mr. Pitt, who couldn't stop staring, neglecting his duties as he strove to find the painting behind the colorful abstract pattern. Acting on behalf of a lot of us, she broke the painting over her knee.
A local home attendant purchased another book on knitting, at least her fifth. She stops to peruse and her ward keeps walking, and she calls out in her islands accent: "Maw, Maw," sounding a lot like my mom's first attendant, Mrs. Green. And Oddball also visited. He tears out each page he has finished of the book he is reading. He found the paperback mysteries I had on display "too girly." I suggested Patricia Cornwell and he gave it a shot. Thanks, folks.
Read vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment