Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 9/20

Sometimes something comes out of left field to give you a shot in the arm. I didn't pick up yesterday's mail until after this morning's walk. I wasn't expecting anything significant, no DVD from Netflix or mail order for one of my books, so I let it go. There were two pieces of junk mail: one from Hyundai suggesting I trade in my car for a new one (LOL) and another from those champions of waste, politicians, urging me to vote for their candidate in the election, which was more than a week ago. The other piece was from Aetna. I assumed it was the monthly bill, although it had arrived a lot earlier than usual. It seems there was a bit of fraud at the company. Enclosed was a check for $359. That's equivalent to just about 36 street sales of my own books (LOL). Alas, the windfall isn't as exciting or uplifting as selling even one of my books, as was proved later in the day. Since life giveth and life taketh away, I had no sales today on the street at the viaduct out of the light rain. This storm system is so huge it's supposed to last through Saturday. Fortunately, there are supposed to be a lot of breaks in it.
And on the political front - most administrations are not engulfed in scandal until a second term. Obama's has two juicy ones going in its first, although you would never know it from the sparse coverage. ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms) came up with a scheme to track drug dealers - sell them guns equipped with tiny GPS devices in sting operations. So far 31 of them have been recovered at 12 crime scenes. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry was murdered with one (not LOL). Every American should be angry about it. My friend John should rewrite his indictment of the war on drugs to include it, although it is a case where truth is stranger than fiction. It is more infuriating than the ever comical green front, which has suffered another fiasco. California solar company Solyndra has gone belly up. This comes as a surprise only to environmental paranoiacs. Congress granted the company 530 million. Of course, such boondoggles can't exist without massive government aide. Greeniacs believe all their ideas should be implemented despite the damage they do to the economy. They're saving the planet, you see (LOL). Ethanol has caused a shortage of corn that has not only inflated its price but harmed all the industries that rely on it to feed livestock, which serves as food. Even Obama likes burgers. Gone are the days when the likes of Edison and Ford did wonders on their own. Microsoft began in a garage (LOL), for God's sake. Congress (LOL) has begun an investigation into the shady  dealings. Lord Byron said it so wonderfully in Don Juan: "And if I laugh at any mortal thing, 'Tis that I may not weep." Stay tuned.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment