Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 8/27

I went for a walk at three. The rain was light. It's been sporadic so far. It seems Irene has slowed. Yesterday the brunt was predicted to strike from 5 PM to 5 AM. Now it looks like the worst will occur from midnight on. A lot of people in the building have put tape on their windows. As I walked along Sheepshead Bay Road, I noticed that many businesses had done the same. The Bank of America, which has a large glass front, has been boarded up, likewise Waldbaum's, which was still open for business. Most of the small shops were closed. Even McDonald's was, but that may be because they have a grade pending on health inspection, as a sign in the window indicated. I love McDonald's, bought lunch at the one in the old neighborhood today, but the one on Sheepshead Bay Road is the most poorly-run I've ever seen. Anyway, there were few people on the usually bustling street. The parking lot of the popular El Greco Diner, directly across from the bay, was practically vacant. There was hardly anyone walking along the promenade, unlike most Saturdays.
I parked across from two small trees. If they fall in my direction, I'm hoping they only graze the car. Of course, nothing but luck will prevent damage from a flying object. I took the four copies of my books out of the trunk and glove-compartment, two each of Adjustments and A Hitch in Twilight, just in case there is flooding. Close to the Edge is temporarily sold out. The car is really the only thing I'm worried about. There are a lot of vacant spaces near trees. Still, some intrepid souls have not moved away from them. My apartment faces the courtyard, which has been cleared, and rarely gets any breeze, so I don't anticipate any damage to my windows. I wonder if the car will be salvageable if water reaches as high as the seats. All there is to do is wait and see. At times like these I recall a great line from Agent Scully on The X-Files. It went something like this: "My dad always said you better respect mother nature - because it has absolutely no respect for you."
Thanks to the folks at Synovate for the check, to Clear Voice Surveys for the amazon gift certificate, and to Pinecone Research, which not only added three bucks to my paypal account, but sent me two bottles of a new Snapple product to test. It's a cranberry-pomegranate white ice tea with reduced sugar, only 80 calories. I enjoyed the first, and will try the second with tomorrow's pasta - if the gas line hasn't been severed by the storm. I made a lot more money online this week than at the floating book shop.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment