Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 8/13

I watch two DVDs per week from Netflix. I once had a long list of films and TV shows in my queue, more than a hundred. It's now more like 30, mostly new releases. Eventually, I'll have to re-watch the movies I liked most. The site has great variety. It lacks only one title I've been longing to see - The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond (1960), directed by B movie stalwart Budd Boetticher and starring Ray Danton. It is scheduled to be released August 31st. I can't wait, although I may be setting myself up for a big let down. I had the measles when it finally came to the Benson Theater in Bensonhurst, and then it just disappeared, despite good reviews. I don't recall it ever being shown on TV, maybe because it was shot in a 1920s style. It is rated 6.8 out of ten at IMBD.
Last night I got lucky with an obscure film I'd ordered, Le Trou (1960). It is about a prison break that occurred in 1947. Le Trou translates to The Hole. I found it riveting, although I recognized no one in the cast, one of whom participated in the actual break. It was directed by Jacques Becker, whose work I was completely unfamiliar with. It was shot in black and white and it is subtitled. The only drawback was that some of the early scenes went on a bit too long. It must have been intentional, as ensuing scenes were shortened. If you see it, you'll know what I mean. On a scale of five, I rate Le Trou four stars. The French made wonderful film noir in the '50's and early '60's, before the New Wave, movies I hate. I'm sure a lot of critics would laugh at my opinion. So what.
Thanks to the nice lady who bought three books today on Bay Parkway.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment