Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 8/9

All Things That Matter Press published my short story collection, A Hitch in Twilight. It is run almost exclusively on the web by Phil and Deb Harris. They have issued almost 80 books. Most of the authors, including me, struggle for sales. If I didn't take Hitch to the streets, I'd have five web sales rather than the 99 overall I've managed to get thanks to the kindness of strangers. Phil's own novels seem to sell well, as do Jen Knox's two creative non-fictions, Musical Chairs and To Begin Again. Ken Weene's Memoirs from the Asylum is fine work, but I'm not sure how well it sells, ditto Bob Rubenstein's important Ghost Runners. Now it seems one of our authors has achieved a stunning breakthrough.
Melissa Studdard is a professor in Texas. This week her fantasy-adventure, Six Weeks to Yehida, made its debut and sky-rocketed up the chart at Amazon. It cracked the 2000 barrier overall and reached the top 100 in the children's and fantasy-sci-fi categories, a remarkable achievement. There are more than six million titles listed at Amazon. Way to go, Melissa, and continued success. Check out the book here:  http://www.amazon.com/Six-Weeks-Yehidah-Melissa-Studdard/dp/0984651705/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312923374&sr=1-1
A couple of weeks ago, Frankie, one of our building's stellar porters, gave me a box of books left behind by a tenant who had passed away. My Life by Bill Clinton had immediately caught his eye. He was sure it would sell. Well, the rascal was right. I brought it out for the first time today and a young man snapped it up. I'm going to miss Frankie asking about the book. I love the way his Dominican accent pronounces Cleen-tone. Thanks, amigo. Best thing, I no longer have to look at Slick Willie's mug.
And thanks to Susan, who purchased two books on diet before the rains came and curtailed business at the floating book shop.
Have you heard that European soccer power Real Madrid has signed a seven-year-old? From what I understand it does not involve money but training and airfare to and from his home in Argentina. "Curiouser and curiouser," as Alice said in Wonderland.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this, Vic. I am so honored to be a part of the ATTMP family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete