Total Pageviews

Monday, August 22, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn - Monday

I've been searching Yahoo News, trying to find something interesting to write about. I don't want to blog just for the sake of blogging. I try to avoid politics, which isn't easy sometimes, given the shenanigans. I vote, but my expectations are always very low, even when Republicans rule. Most eventually tilt left, endorsing pork to ensure their re-election. Some fall prey to corruption. So far I'm happy the Tea Party faction has adhered to principle, but I'm still leery they will eventually cave to the ways of Washington. I am intrigued by the field of Obama's opponents, especially Bachman, Palin (not announced yet) and Perry, but I remind myself that they are politicians vulnerable to all that politics entails. I bet most start with the best intentions, but then begin pandering to get re-elected in order to hold on to their privileges and perks. That's why I became an independent. Romney seems a RINO (Republican in Name Only), or maybe he just went along to get along in liberal Massachusetts. Who will trust him if he moves right? Who will make things less difficult for the dwindling population of Americans who cherish self reliance, which I view as the very essence of being American? Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote a brilliant essay on the subject. The wonder of the internet brings his genius to the fingertips of people around the world. Just google it. I suppose few in Greece, France or Italy would take it seriously, but there are still a lot of Americans who would. I'm hoping the percentage is still above 50% and will grow. The others look to government to bolster them. An unfortunate few need it, most simply seek an edge or enjoy getting over at others' expense, and politicians are perfectly willing to cater to them, softening them up with a sense of entitlement. I don't know how any American can look at Europe right now and think that is the way we ought to go. Of course, there is always that small percentage who love to be contrary, like Groucho singing in Horsefeathers (1932): "Whatever it is, I'm against it." The most telling example of this is those Jews in Israel who oppose the existence of a Jewish state.
So it appears Gadafi has fallen. Only his lackeys will miss him. Now we will all wait and see if the outcome will be better or worse, as we are still waiting on Iraq and Afghanistan. It already seems the outcome in Egypt was worse.
I had only one sale today, The Encyclopedia of Knitting. The kind Russian woman would have bought more, but she was on her way to work - and that book was huge.
Rest in Peace Marty Butler, long time head of security at the Commodity Exchange. Thank you, sir.
Read Vic's stories, free:   http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment