Total Pageviews

Friday, August 26, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 8/26

One way to get consumers to spend is to issue a hurricane warning. It is the talk of the town. All day long people passed the floating bookshop carrying bags laden with supplies, especially water. CVS is out of batteries. The line at the .99 cent store was out the door. Coney Island Hospital, a half mile down Avenue Z, is being evacuated. There was a flier under my door advising tenants to move cars to higher ground. Where that might be is anyone's guess. I'll be happy to find a parking spot away from trees and take my chances from there. Six to twelve inches of rain is predicted. The entire transit system will be shut down during the height of the storm. Authorities have chosen to err on the side of caution, no doubt recalling Katrina. I'll make my usual trip to Stop n Shop at seven AM tomorrow and hope there are some things left. It is reminiscent of a blizzard watch, when the shovels and melting salts sell out immediately. My flashlight doesn't have any batteries and I doubt I'll find any on the shelves. I have enough seltzer to last a few days, but not much food. We've had hurricanes before in Brooklyn. The only significant one I remember is Donna way back circa 1960. They actually curtailed classes at mid day at St. Mary's Elementary School and called parents to come pick up the students. I got a ride with Vera Morosco's uncle. I vividly remember him telling Vera's mom, who didn't seem too thrilled, to watch for falling electric wires. I thought he was over-reacting. I hope that will turn out to be the case with Irene.
The highlight of the day was seeing little Matthew, one year old, on his feet, clutching his mother's hand, smiling excitedly, blue eyes alive with joy as he stumbled along the sidewalk. Apparently he has no idea we are on the brink of doom. I wave to him each time they pass, and he has taken to waving back, with a little coaching from mom, who has the same blue eyes. Like my mom, she doesn't speak much English.
Thanks to the lovely Asian woman who purchased children's books. Batten down the hatches.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment