Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 7/27

Arlynn had news she didn't want to hear today. She had another scraping for a biopsy and was really pissed at the doctor, who she calls "cold." She suspects the guy is merely looking for another big pay day, since he suggests she have a mole removed that all women in her family have. And, of course, the two areas would have to be treated on separate visits, as Medicare wouldn't cover the common sense move of doing them at once. She also had to stop at her neurologist, who she has been seeing for 20 years. He assured her the spot in question is probably nothing. He gave her several prescriptions, which she brought to Monica's, which was raided yesterday by the Office of the Inspector General. Since the computers were confiscated, she will have to pick up the stuff tomorrow. In my view, government has created a climate of racketeering in the medical field. We went out for pizza after this latest debacle. This time it was my treat.
I've been worried about the health of my friend Morty, a 75-year-old retired salesman who stops by the floating bookshop every day. He's been losing weight and his voice seems a bit hoarse. He seems to be in good spirits, however, so I hope my fears are unfounded. He was all smiles today. He bought a lot of Ensure to counteract the weight loss. It was a $60 value. He paid $12. That's the type of thing he's always telling me about and lives for.
A couple of elderly women living in rent-controlled apartments in my building have died. They were tenants since the place open in 1960. Those flats will now be renovated and put on the open market by the co-op board, a bonanza, alas too late to head off the proposed rise in our maintenance fee, which hasn't moved for many, many years. Oh, well, all good things must end.
Thanks to the Russian woman who purchased five books for her granddaughter, and to the music fan/security guard who has been so kind to me, who purchased both the Ultimate Sinatra and Ultimate Jazz CDs. I finally learned his name - William. I'm running out of blank CDs - and that's a good thing.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment