Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 7/6

Thanks to my buddy Herbie, who purchased Barbara Taylor Bradford's Being Elizabeth. I had the feeling he wasn't really interested in the novel. I think he was simply doing a mitzvah.
I was just listening to conservative talk show host Steve Malzberg, heard in NYC on WOR weekdays between four and six. As if customers of the airlines don't have enough to worry about - intelligence has discovered that the enemy is working on ways of surgically implanting bombs into terrorists. Everyone may now have to go through the x-ray machines. Let's hope the devices are detectable.
So what are we to make of the Casey Anthony trial? I did not follow it closely. I have low tolerance for sordidness that is real. I'm perfectly willing to accept what juries decide in such cases. Civil matters are another story. I think the payouts are insane, particularly in states such as New York that allow additional payment for pain and suffering. Anyway, anyone who commented to me on the matter seemed convinced of the mother's guilt, as did the hosts on WOR. Of course, it is perfectly conceivable that little Caylee was killed accidentally - but why the cover-up? I have no expertise in law - one does not earn a degree by watching Law and Order - but why wasn't there a conspiracy charge of some sort? It certainly seems someone was guilty of something. I don't fault the jury. The easiest thing the members could have done was render a verdict of guilty. Maybe the prosecution over-reached. Who knows? I wasn't that surprised, given the O.J. decision. I remember standing at the podium of the Gold Futures market that day in October 1995. We were located at 4 World Trade Center then. It was less than two years after the first terrorist attack on the place. Trading on the entire floor came to a virtual halt as we waited for the news to hit the screens. I was stunned.
Now, I suppose, there will come the inevitable cashing in on the event, that unfortunate aspect of a free society. How long will it be before there is a Casey Anthony "tell-all" on the market? Meanwhile, a beautiful little girl is dead. What a sin.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment