Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 7/19

As the great Irving Berlin wrote way back in 1938 (and no I was not there, wise guys): "We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave...." And it's schedule to get worse starting Thursday. So it was a pleasant surprise when I actually did some business today. It started immediately with the Merry Mail-Woman buying Sue Grafton's T Is for Trespass. Then a mustachioed young man named Sam purchased a bunch of children's books, and Susan, who has become my steadiest customers, took two more. And, just before I was about to close up, a young man stepped off the bus and noticed the two High School Musical novels I had on display. All except the Grafton thriller were part of Adam's large donation, as was Good Italian Cooking, which a Russian gentleman purchased yesterday. I hope he didn't get a hernia. That sucker was huge and heavy. Thanks, folks. I celebrated by buying an ice cream pop at CVS.
I'm starting to get a handle on Bob's second novel, The White Bridge. In Chapter Six he briefly brings in blues great Blind Lemon Jefferson, singing on a street corner, in what is almost a chapter within a chapter. I had to figure out how to make his presence seem unforced. I decided to have his female companion smart off to the social worker who is the main focus of the chapter. I think it works, although Bob has him playing guitar and singing during a snow storm, which is designed to highlight the poverty of the times but which seems far fetched. Anyhow, at least the task has become more enjoyable.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment