Total Pageviews

Friday, July 15, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 715

Adam's donation has already begun paying dividends. Before leaving the apartment, I took nine small books approximately the size of a .45 record and nearly as thin, and a Spiderman comic. Each focused on a teaching point such as Friendship or Truth. I hoped Susan, who has purchased many books for her grandkids, would be passing this gorgeous day. Sure enough, there she was as soon as I approached my usual nook. She took the whole batch. And good thing she did - I had only one other customer the whole shift, a woman who couldn't resist Jackie Collins' steamy Poor Little Bitch Girl, although she has scores of unread books at home. Thanks, ladies.
Fortunately, Bob Rubenstein showed up. We conversed for at least an hour. I'm editing his second novel, The White Bridge. I've done the first 32 chapters, aiming for clarity and an improvement in prose. He doesn't seem to mind my criticism. The story is good. It just needs to be told better. He had a real scare recently, falling down a short flight of stairs. Luckily, he suffered only bruising to the upper thigh and hip. He took such a flop that the bottle of Snapple he was holding flew well clear of him, or he may have been cut as well. That kind of thing at his age, at least 65, can really lead to a collapse in quality of life. He believes God was with him. It must be nice to have such faith.
I caught up to Unstoppable (2010) last night, courtesy of Netflix. I was surprised. It was a different kind of thriller. I expected crime and hostages, but it was a simple story of an unmanned runaway train threatening towns in southern Pennsylvania. It had an air of authenticity, as if the writer, Mark Bomback, had done his homework. The director, old pro Tony Scott, did an excellent job maintaining excitement, especially since the outcome was obvious. And is there a better action hero in films today than Denzel Washington? Chris Pine, who did so well as Captain Kirk in the latest version of Star Trek, lent able support. The real surprise was the lovely Rosario Dawson, a New York City girl, who was completely credible as the trains coordinator. On a scale of five, I rate this film three-and-a-half.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment