Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 7/17

Congratulations to Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke, 42, who won the British Open on his 20th try, five years after his wife succumbed to cancer. That tiny country has produced three of the last six major titlist (Grahame McDowell & Rory McIlroy). Which is the more spectacular - that fact or the way South Korean women are dominating the women's tour? Clarke finished five under, holding off Americans Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson by three strokes. Only four golfers finished under par, as the usual conditions, wind and rain, wreaked havoc with the field. Thomas Bjorn was -1. Reports noted that Clarke was smoking as he walked the fairways of the Royal St. George course in Sandwich, England, despite his wife's death to cancer. Hey, he's a human being. Well done, lad.
My mindset was pessimistic today at the floating bookshop. I think I'm letting the difficulty of editing Bob's second novel affect me. I'm three chapters into a second flush, and while it's a bit easier, it's still a bear. I was bolder the deeper I went into it, so I'm hoping it will become easier still.
I was sure I wasn't going to sell anything today. I spent the first hour peeling bark from the tree that provides much needed and appreciated shade. Then a Russian gentleman, fresh from the Chase ATM, stopped and signaled his teenage son, who was seated in a car. I asked the kid what he liked to read. He'd just finished Irwin Shaw's blockbuster, Rich Man, Poor Man. I didn't really have anything of that type, but his father was kind enough to purchase thrillers by Scott Turow, Michael Crichton, Ed McBain and Tom Clancy, and two children's books for his daughter. Spasibo, sir. And thanks to the young woman who seconds later bought a book on healthy cooking.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment