Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 7/20

I had a couple of more nice surprises at the floating bookshop. There was a cool breeze today I had not expected. And I sold a copy of A Hitch in Twilight. As soon as Carole, a resident of Brighton Beach, heard the first story in the collection, The Man in the Box, is set there, she was hooked. The other day Mark, a teacher at Sheepshead Bay HS, told me how much he related to the story because he used to smoke pot with his buddies under the Boardwalk back in the day - at the very spot where the action occurred. Years ago there was space under the Boardwalk, which the Drifters made famous in that great 60's song. That space has been filled with sand to keep out, I presume, the riffraff.
Susan continues to be good to me, purchasing two more children's books. She mentioned the fact that Borders bookstores will be closing soon. It is my belief that down the road there will be only a few super Barnes and Nobles type stores. I doubt physical books will become as rare as vinyl records, but their numbers will decrease significantly. I can't imagine myself ever going to an electronic reading device, but I have no objection to this evolution. I believe in letting the market decide, unlike the totalitarians in congress who would dictate which light bulbs will prevail or that everyone must purchase health insurance.
I also thank the young home attendant who passes daily with the wheelchair-bound senior gentleman in her care, who this time purchased Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes. She got her money's worth. It must be 1000 pages. And thanks to the elderly woman who donated three pristine hardcover thrillers.
The shop will probably be closed the next three days, as killer heat kicks in. I will have time to make a big dent in the editing of Bob Rubenstein's The White Bridge. And I'm thinking about burning Ultimate Sinatra and Ultimate Jazz CDs for sale. They will be a steal at five bucks.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment