Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

The Writer's Life 9/26 - Short Takes

As a conservative, I'm glad the latest health bill has failed. It is not true reform. It protects insurance companies and does not allow people to join co-ops. It isn't good enough.

From Yahoo's Odd News, edited by yours truly: A Sri Lankan waiting for a flight was busted for smuggling a kilogram (2.2 lb) of gold stashed in his rectum. It was worth 4.5 million rupees ($29,577). He was freed after payment of 100,000 rupees. Such methods of smuggling are not unusual. The gold was wrapped in four plastic bags. No word on whether the guy was a politician, although he certainly behaved like one.

I had a visit from Mayor Mike, a local super. He said a four-room apartment in which an old timer had lived for 40 years until his passing, now remodeled beautifully, was available. The previous tenant enjoyed rent control, paying only $600 per month. The flat will now go for $1900.

When my doctor abruptly retired, the prescription for my blood pressure medication ran out. Curious to see what would happen, I did not schedule an immediate appointment with my new physician. I was without the stuff less than a month. Two weeks ago my BP was 140/90. Disappointed, I went back on the drug. Today it was 130/78, and I don't have to see the doctor for another four months.

While I was having the $3.49 special at Burger King - two burgers, fries, Dr. Pepper - I noticed that the four people in my line of site were all staring at cell phone screens. I felt a little self conscious about not having the need or desire to be connected all the time.

I respect the NHL for being the first pro sports league to take a chance on a Las Vegas franchise. To honor those who have sprung for season tickets, management has placed a list of their names under the ice. Here's what it looks like:


Since I had little hope of finding a parking spot near my usual book nook, I set up shop in front of the Chase bank at Bay Pkwy & 85th, my Saturday spot. A woman who spoke to me in Russian, although I said I didn't understand, kicked things off by buying a Nora Roberts thriller. Then an electrician who was born in Haiti picked my brain about publishing a book on his experiences. He bought What On Earth Am I Here For? Study Guide (The Purpose Driven Life) by Rick Warren. Bad News Billy overpaid for a hardcover Meriam-Webster Dictionary. A young woman asked if I had Siddhartha, and was surprised when I brought out Demian. "How did you know I was looking for Herman Hesse?" she said. I told her I'd read Siddhartha, Steppenwolf and Narcissus and Goldmund when I was her age. She purchased Demian and two self help books. The sweet Russian grandma who is amassing a library for her grandkids bought an illustrated copy of The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor by John Yeoman and Quentin Blake. She is frustrated that the kids are no longer interested in reading books in Russian. I remarked that I was the same way regarding Italian, which brought a smile to her face. Finally, as I was breaking down the display, a middle age woman purchased Acceptable Losses by Irwin Shaw. My thanks to all.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc


No comments:

Post a Comment