Total Pageviews

Monday, September 18, 2017

The Writer's Life 9/18 - Charged

The Chargers' move from San Diego to L.A. has not altered their penchant for heartbreaking last minute losses. Last week a 44-yard field goal attempt that would have forced overtime was blocked. Yesterday another 44-yarder, which would have won the game, went wide. Their kicker, Younghoe Koo, 23, is a rookie. So far he has made only one of his four attempts. It looks like future Hall of Fame QB Philip Rivers, 35, will never get to the Super Bowl.



From Yahoo's Odd News, in my own words: An Indiana man robbed a gas station convenience store, making off with food, drinks and cigarettes. A short time later a state trooper found him stranded by the side of a two-lane highway, his vehicle out of fuel. His blood alcohol level was above the legal limit. Although a authorities have not issued a photo of the hapless thief, it is not either of the two in the pic below:



Although the floating book shop is inundated with inventory, certain circumstances lead me to accept more. Such was the case twice today. A gentleman approached and asked, in a heavy Russian accent, if I wanted books in his native tongue. I was hoping he would bring them to me. No such luck. He wanted me to get them. Fortunately, Herbie was present and agreed to mind the display. Two large bags in tow, I was led to the third floor apartment of a woman who had been placed in a nursing home. I filled each halfway with books and CD's. The guy asked if I wanted anything else. Although everything was clean and in good condition, I wasn't tempted. When I returned to the shop Herbie said that a Russian woman went away disappointed in the selection, which was mostly sci-fi. I spent the next 20 minutes moving stuff around so that I would have a separate box for the new additions. Fortunately, a woman who used to buy large sets of Russian classics from me happened by. I asked - and she was nice enough to give me a rundown on the cache. Only one was fiction, the majority focused on health issues, and a few were handsome children's books. I expressed my thanks by allowing her to take one on herbs. A short while later Luis, the porter of the building where I set up shop most days, approached pushing a handcart that had a large box on it. We laughed. Fortunately, he wasn't miffed when I asked to be selective. All of it was English, and many were marketable. I kept about half, separating many I intended to leave in the lobby of our building. I did the same with the Russian books that were in poor condition and the home-made CD's. I hope they make people happy. My thanks to the donors and to those that bought, especially the hard-nosed Russian gentleman who purchased four of the most recent additions as I was closing shop. The trunk of the old Hyundai is filled to capacity, and there are four large boxes on the back seat. Fortunately, I scored the most advantageous parking spot, so I didn't have far to haul the stuff. Still, my back was fatigued - but uninjured, so I'm still ahead of the game.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment