Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 5/30 - Prolific

The debate over how much aid government should bestow on its citizens is a healthy one. I've always believed a person must convincingly demonstrate need to receive it. Unfortunately, mismanagement or downright indifference to vetting costs taxpayers millions, if not billions each year. According to the Fox News site, a report shows that New Jersey paid inmates $23 million in benefits over 22 months ending in April 2011. These included unemployment, Medicaid, food stamps, Work First cash assistance and state pension checks the inmates were not entitled to receive. This is one of the most maddening aspects of government - the incredible waste. Yesterday WOR-AM's Mark Simone asked the host of a Massachusetts radio show why the state didn't require photo IDs on the cash cards welfare recipients receive. If it's not racist for workers and drivers to adhere to photo ID requirements, why is it racist to ask the same of welfare recipients? It might cut down on fraud.

I've been a Cablevision internet user for a couple of weeks now, switching from the least powerful version of Verizon DSL. I see no difference in processing speed, but there is marked improvement in the viewing of videos. I haven't experienced any buffering lately. I hope I haven't jinxed myself. I've noticed no difference in the delivery of music streams. Since the move, I've had to change my email address at all the survey sites I use. This morning I finally remembered Valued Opinions, and found a pleasant surprise in that I'd earned enough for a $20 gift certificate for Amazon. My thanks, and also to Toluna surveys, which sent me a $20 check. I love the web.

I had a visit from Steve, the poet laureate of Sheepshead Bay. He was very chipper, having recently returned from a two-week stay in Mexico, where he did a reading in Spanish accompanied by dancers and musicians, which was well received. Kudos, sir.

RIP Father Andrew Greeley, an incredibly prolific author of both fiction and non-fiction. A look at his credits at Wiki is stunning. There may be as many as 200 of his works in print. He wrote 5000 words per day. In 1987 alone he had four novels and two works of non-fiction published. He was a severe critic of President Bush and a booster of President Obama. He donated the money he earned to charitable and political causes.

My thanks to Ol' Simon and Ol' Smokey, who donated more items to the floating book shop. Smokey brought first rate non-fiction in several categories and a slew of DVDs, many of them in the horror genre. Simon just turned 86. Happy Birthday, sir. My thanks to those who purchased wares on this first hot day of the year. I spent practically all the time in the shade. Unfortunately, two of the local drinking crew parked their butts on the ledge that surrounds the garden of the building where I set up shop. By the time I left, one was stretched out on the ground sleeping.
Vic's 4th Novel:
Vic's 3rd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment