Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 5/15 - Scenarios

Here’s an item that I at first found dismaying, then got me to thinking. Wealthy families have found a way to avoid long lines at Disney World. They hire a handicapped guide, who poses as a relative. The person charges $108 an hour, which amounts to more than a thousand bucks for an eight hour day. It cuts the waiting time for attractions from hours to a few minutes. I sneered at what seemed taking advantage of a person with an infirmity. But at that cost, is that really the case? Is anyone forcing them to do it, perhaps a nasty parent using a child for his/her own ends? That’s the only possible negative I see in this scenario. Is it unethical? Certainly, but do the positives outweigh the negative? I’m always amazed at the ingenuity of the human race. And I love trickle down economics, especially of the underground variety. Some of that money may help meet medical needs not covered by insurance, or put food on the table for those paying costly doctor bills.

Last night I watched a real science fiction film, Moon (2009), courtesy of Netflix. At first I thought it was going to be a reworking of 2001 A Space Odyssey, a malfunctioning computer hampering a scientific expedition. It evolved into a story of humanity and ethics. The voice of the computer is done by Kevin Spacey. Sam Rockwell shines in multiple roles. There are no aliens, no explosions. It is geared toward those who prefer serious sci-fi. Made on a budget of only five million, it was the first full length feature from Duncan Jones, a Brit, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Nathan Parker. Jones went on to do an effective thriller, Source Code (2011), starring Jake Gyllenhaal, and has a bio of Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond, in the works. On a scale of five, I rate Moon 3.5. Those at IMDb were even more enthusiastic, rating it eight out of ten. The impatient are warned to stay away from this film.

As soon as I'd lugged the book laden crates to my usual nook, droplets of rain began to fall. They were so sparse the sidewalk barely got wet. I left the wares covered, hoping the precipitation would stop. Soon a woman who has purchased spiritual matter from me in the past approached. For the third time, Old Simon had donated a large, handsome, paperback illustrated family Bible. All of them have sold the first day I put them out. Then a lovely young woman with a heavy Russian asked me to recommend an easy read in English. I handed her a John Sandford thriller and suggested she try the first paragraph. She bought it and thanked me. So in just a few minutes, despite the raindrops, I'd earned enough for one of Ali Baba's gyros. I thank those two women, and the other three kind folks who made purchases. If I ever complain about bad luck, slap me.
Vic's 3rd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment